Posted to alt.home.repair
Higgs Boson[_2_] Higgs Boson[_2_] is offline

Default Computer memory low

On Jan 19, 1:41*pm, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 12:34:39 -0800 (PST), Higgs Boson

wrote:
QUESTION: *What is "sandboxing"? *I am running XP, but don't know what
"SP3" means.

Service Pack 3...likely you are updated with patches? Right?

Give us the rest of the system information...

At least the HDD size and/or if you have two HDDs.

OK, here goes:

At least the HDD size and/or if you have two HDDs.

OK, here goes:

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 3

Computer Intel (R) Pentium (R) 4 CPU 2.80 GHz
2.79 GHz 750 MB of RAM

Ext HD 160 GB

I lost track of the pie chart that showed C drive HD usage, but it was
quite a bit -- maybe 75% or more. Wherethehell did I find that?!

Hope this is the desired info, and thanks for your patience; I have
been running hard on some urgent stuff.

NOW Some q, which I also posted on alt.computer.workshop:

1. Can I install Avast -- the virus program people are recommending
-- w/o Uninstalling Hog Norton? Or will they fight and mess me up
even worse?
Avast says it only requires 100 MB of HD space. So can I install
it alongside the Hog? Or could I install it on the External HD?

2. Somewhat like #1: Do I have to Uninstall Norton in order to try
Avast?

3. Should I use the Avast FREE PROGRAM or spring a few bux for the
paid one? I don't mind paying if I get a lot more for my money.
Here's what they offer for the paid program:

Download avast! Internet SecurityInternet
SecurityBest
protection
Antivirus with anti-spyware
The minimum protection for every PC.
Enjoy worry-free web surfing
Innovative Sandbox technology protects you from dangerous websites.
Safely shop or bank online
Firewall prevents theft of your personal and financial data.
Stop bothersome SPAM
Antispam keeps unwanted emails out of your inbox.
Protect up to 3 PCs in your home
Best value offer – get your PCs fully protected only for $20 each!

Some of this stuff duplicates what is offered by Windows, such as
Firewall. Can ANY Antispam really work? I only have one PC. Dunno
anything about the Sandbox technology, which claims to "protect [me]
from dangerous websites. Who decides what is "dangerous"? Sounds very
general.

What do youse guys think about Free vs Paid Avast versions?

4. Norton does AUTOMATIC BACKUPS AND FILE RECOVERY. Those are
valuable programs which I would be sorry to lose, as I have always
been VERY stupid about backup and have lost valuable files as a
result. Does anyone have recommendation for *idiot-proof backup/file
recovery* that is not too fat?

5. Even if I go through all the clean up and discard steps that one
of my honorable friends listed in such thoughtful detail, will that
free up enough from my
6 year-old, underpowered C Drive HD? If not, what do I do? Buy
another HD? Or use External HD as main drive?

6. What's the connection between HD RAM and Virtual Memory? I tried
to read the WikiPedia article on Virtual Memory, but too technical for
moi.
It's VIRTUAL MEMORY that the "flame-like" pie charts in the lower
r.h. corner of the screen have been threatening me with. What do I
have to do to get more Virtual Memory? Is it a function of
available HD RAM?

OK, that's a lot of questions. I am slobberingly grateful for the
TLC..

HB