Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Temporary/easy-to-put-up wall?

On Jan 19, 7:44*pm, KD wrote:
Greetings:

We have a finished basement with pine floors, one fairly small bedroom
down there and a main room. There's a laundry room down there too, as
well as a two piece bathroom (sink/toilet).

We're looking at my mother coming to live with us later this year, the
idea is that Mom is going to mostly take over the basement. The
bedroom isn't going to be enough space for her, so we'd like for her
to be able to have a little sitting room down there too, in the main
room, but allow her privacy in there to watch TV, talk on the phone or
whatever without being interrupted by us as we go to the laundry room,
etc.

We aren't handy enough to build a wall ourselves. Is there anything
that is easy and fairly inexpensive to put up that could make a little
room down there? It doesn't need to be soundproof or anything, just a
separate space. The ceiling down there is, hmm, a dropped ceiling
maybe? It has tiles in the ceiling, behind them is the bare wood.

Thanks for any assistance!

How about something like this?
http://thebluerabbithouse.tumblr.com/post/2690889898
The wall doesn't have to be tilted. Make the wall out of 2x3s, make
it straight up and down, and zig zag it along the floor so it's
stronger and less likely to get knocked down. You can tie off the top
to the dropped ceiling track with cable ties (aka zip ties) or wire.

Post on Freecycle.org and ask for some full length floor to ceiling
curtains, and explain the situation. I'm sure someone will have some
laying about that they'd be willing to give you for free. Or you
could just use some inexpensive fabric or even bed sheets. If you
attach the fabric with staples, put some pleats in there so it'll look
better.