Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 50 year old house.. Wood doors need to be repained. need toremove paint,, advice on sanding etc

On Jan 19, 6:03*pm, aemeijers wrote:
On 1/19/2011 5:17 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 1/19/2011 1:05 PM KOS spake thus:

I am going to repaint a wood bathroom door in a 50 year old house. The
doors are in really good condition. I would like to remove the paint
from the door... I have a sander but whenever I use it dust covers the
entire room, so I dont want to use that.. Any liquids that work well
for this type of project? I did use an environmentally friendly
"paste" that you put it on and wait 24 hours then scrap off- but I
dont think that will work on the door, as the paint is pretty good on
there. Thanks

First question: why do you think you have to remove all the old paint
from the door?

You didn't say, but the door is going to be painted, right? (If you want
to varnish over the wood that's a different story.) So all you really
need to do is to prep the door for paint by removing any loose paint,
then leveling and smoothing the rest. If there are big gobs of paint in
places, these can probably be taken down with a sharp chisel or even a
putty knife.

I wouldn't try to sand it down to bare wood. On an old door, you risk
rounding off and ruining the molding, for one thing. Just clean it up,
prime it, then paint it.

He is also apparently trying to do it in place, which is a mistake IMHO.
Take it down and do it in the basement or garage, or on back porch once
warm weather hits. Doing a side at time on tall sawhorses is a lot
easier than prepping and painting a vertical surface.

--
aem sends...- Hide quoted text -

yeah take door off, remove hardware, use paint stripper outdoors, then
clean and sand.

way better outdoors.. I have done this.

only trouble it may come out so good you will want to do all doors in
home.

removing paint restores all sorts of details lost be many coats of
paint