Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default OT Did You Know It Costs More Than a Penny to Make a Penny?

On Jan 19, 4:46*am, Rick Brandt wrote:
Harry K wrote:
On Jan 18, 4:16 pm, Rick Brandt wrote:
Harry K wrote:
One of the major reasons for the dollar coin flop is the size. *It is
too close to a quarter.

I hear that a lot, but I don't buy it. *ALL paper money is exactly the
same size and weight. *Solution? You actually have to look at it. *No
reason the same doesn't apply to coins.

The dollar coin will be hugely successful the moment they stop printing
paper ones.

There is a big difference between "successful" and "popular". *Give
the coin a distinctive size so you can tell it by feel would be a big
start. *that the "powers' can't seem to _get_ that simple concept is
amazing.

To make it very distinctive would cause people to complain that it is too
large and also drive up cost and weight. *We had large coins and people
didn't carry them.

Screw "popular". *It's money. *Someday we'll be doing it all with our phones
or other e-methods anyway.- Hide quoted text -

Who says it has to be "big" It can be smaller, even a little bit
bigger. The old dollar coins for sure were a nuisance. They were in
common use in this area up to around the mid 50s. I could still get a
few in change after that when I came back on furlough. Advantage?
Great 'break the ice' with the girls back east when you could pull out
a few.

Harry K