Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 50 year old house.. Wood doors need to be repained. need to removepaint,, advice on sanding etc

On 1/19/2011 1:05 PM KOS spake thus:

I am going to repaint a wood bathroom door in a 50 year old house. The
doors are in really good condition. I would like to remove the paint
from the door... I have a sander but whenever I use it dust covers the
entire room, so I dont want to use that.. Any liquids that work well
for this type of project? I did use an environmentally friendly
"paste" that you put it on and wait 24 hours then scrap off- but I
dont think that will work on the door, as the paint is pretty good on
there. Thanks

First question: why do you think you have to remove all the old paint
from the door?

You didn't say, but the door is going to be painted, right? (If you want
to varnish over the wood that's a different story.) So all you really
need to do is to prep the door for paint by removing any loose paint,
then leveling and smoothing the rest. If there are big gobs of paint in
places, these can probably be taken down with a sharp chisel or even a
putty knife.

I wouldn't try to sand it down to bare wood. On an old door, you risk
rounding off and ruining the molding, for one thing. Just clean it up,
prime it, then paint it.

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.