Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mike mike is offline

Default Reduce power of a microwave oven?

PeterD wrote:
On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 05:55:03 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

Can you return the oven? You can use the argument
that it's not fit for its intended purpose. Which it isn't.
Nope, my inability to forecast the consequences is not
the fault of the seller.

If your description is correct, the oven is grossly misdesigned. You do not
implement variable power by turning the magenetron on for 15 seconds, then
letting it sit for a minute! I've /never/ seen a microwave oven that works
that way. My home GE works fine, as do all those I've seen where I've
worked.

Huh? Virtually all the ones I've seen do just that: run a 10 to 15
second on/off time cycle. The magnetron is turned on with a relay, so
rapid cycling just begs to blow that relay.

It's worse than that.
A triac can fix the relay issue. The problem is the thermal
time constant of the magnetron filament.