Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Reduce power of a microwave oven?

I suppose the issue could go round 'n round (usenet style), but the term
cooked means different things in different contexts.

Not raw.. safe to eat.
Beef color changed from pink to grey.
Internal temp of 180 F.

Cooked, meaning not raw, is hardly properly prepared to taste. A piece of
beef could be boiled to an internal temp of 180 F, and it's cooked, but I
wouldn't care to eat it prepared that way.. some people do.

If beef doesn't sear from being in contact with blazing hot air/reflected IR
heat (real oven), metal and/or fire, ya might as well be eating soy.
Beef roasted in a real oven will brown on the top/outside, but not in a
typical MWO.

For my tastes, the searing/browning of meats is what gives them good flavor,
not so much the seasoning.. with a few exceptions, fried chicken, for
example.

I prefer real oven or covered grill baked potatoes (or roasted in hot coals)
over microwaved potatoes.. it's a matter of preference. I haven't been able
to get crispy skins in a MWO.
Sure, the MWO potatoes are edible, but far less flavorful.

Many MWO dishes are pre-cooked processed stuff anyway.. not good food when
taken out of the package, but better when eaten warm/hot.

--
Cheers,
WB

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

I seem to remember that we had this discussion once before some years
back. It depends on how you define the word "cook". Using the traditional
definition of 'preparing food by use of heat' I would contend that this is
exactly what a microwave oven does - or am I missing something ... ? If I
am, then what *is* cooking that a conventional oven does differently ?

Arfa