Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] pentagrid@yahoo.com is offline

Default Testing MOT as electromagnet - this just in

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 21:47:49 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Testing for saturation: I added a small secondary, so I could get an
induced voltage to measure. Then I measured this induced voltage vs.
the applied voltage in 10v steps up to 120v, applied. My thinking is
that there will be a linear relationship until the core saturates and
then the induced voltage will level off.

That didn't happen so far. Before I rig to test up to 240v, I want to
confirm that my thinking is correct about output voltage at saturation.
Anybody know?

Thanks,
Bob

BTW - in the microwave oven, this coil generates 2000v, so 240v won't be
a problem (current might be).

Basically correct but with most ferrous materials onset of
saturation is gradual and not sharply defined.

Jim