Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Miklos[_2_] Tony Miklos[_2_] is offline

Default OT Did You Know It Costs More Than a Penny to Make a Penny?

On 1/18/2011 12:53 PM, Harry K wrote:
On Jan 17, 8:23 pm, Tony wrote:
On 1/17/2011 5:15 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

http://gizmodo.com/5734677/did-you-k...han-a-penny-to...

They should stop making them.

Yes but the US Mint and the US Treasury are two separate entities. In
Canada $1 coins (loon?) are used all the time because they stopped
making $1 bills. That is why we never adjusted to the dollar coin,
because the Treasury won't stop loosing money making paper dollars.

One of the major reasons for the dollar coin flop is the size. It is
too close to a quarter. I thought that after the Susan B anthony
fiasco they would have learned but nooo...here comes the new one with
the same flaw.

The Canadian ones are the same size and they are used a lot because they
stopped printing $1 bills. Our treasury doesn't want to loose any
business so they keep wasting money on $1 bills. That's why the US
dollar coin isn't used.