Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Testing MOT as electromagnet - this just in

On Jan 18, 9:47*pm, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Testing for saturation: I added a small secondary, so I could get an
induced voltage to measure. *Then I measured this induced voltage vs.
the applied voltage in 10v steps up to 120v, applied. *My thinking is
that there will be a linear relationship until the core saturates and
then the induced voltage will level off.

That didn't happen so far. *Before I rig to test up to 240v, I want to
confirm that my thinking is correct about output voltage at saturation.
* Anybody know?

Thanks,
Bob

BTW - in the microwave oven, this coil generates 2000v, so 240v won't be
a problem (current might be).

If I recall correctly when one designs a transformer, you calculate
what the ET product is. That is the voltage times time.

E{avg}= 4 f N A B{peak} is the basic formula

So rearranging and eliminating constants.

ET = N A B ( peak )

Where T is the inverse of f. And N, the number of turns, and A the
cross sectional area are constant for a transformer.

So ET ~ to B ( peak )

So the flux ( B ) depends on the voltage and frequency. And using the
same line frequency and the voltage at 240 volts RMS ( much less than
the usual 2000 volts on the secondary, you should not have to worry
about saturation. ( this assumes you are using AC voltage.).

Dan