Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

Default Reduce power of a microwave oven?

In article ,
mike wrote:

Yep, that's the way most of 'em work. The problem is the filament in
the magnetron. Much shorter and you don't get any power out cause
the filament ain't hot yet. With enough mass inside the oven, it
averages out pretty well. For a single frozen hamburger at 1100W, not
so much.

Yes, you can buy a microwave with fine-grained setting of continuous
power at most any retailer...for 3X the price.
They have to keep the filament hot while reducing the power. Much more
complicated and not a commodity item much higher price.

Not that much higher these days, I think. The Toshiba "inverter"
microwave ovens have a variable power level of this general sort, and
they're commodity items to the extent of being buyable at Costco and
probably other big-box stores. They're somewhat more expensive than
ovens fixed-power magnetrons, but not all that much.

However... I had one, and it died within a couple of years in home
use. Our previous microwave had lasted for a couple of decades. I'm
not sure whether this was an odd failure in this unit, or was
characteristic of Toshiba inverter microwaves in general, or just an
result of the "race to the bottom, in price and in quality" which
seems to be affecting the whole consumer-electronics business these
days.

I bought a fixed-power-output commercial-service Amana as a
replacement, in the hopes that it'll last rather longer than the
Toshiba did.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO