Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Fred McKenzie Fred McKenzie is offline

Default Reduce power of a microwave oven?

In article ,
mike wrote:

Yes, it has a power level setting, but the on-time is 15 seconds
and they modulate the off-time.
I tried to heat a frozen hamburger patty. It boils the liquid around
the outside for 15 seconds, but the inside is still frozen.

Mike-

Does the new microwave have a Defrost option? If so, does it also cook
for 15 seconds at full power?

I had a small microwave back in the 70s that had a low power setting.
My memory is a little hazy, but I think the low power setting switched a
capacitor in series with the high voltage transformer primary. It acted
as a ballast to reduce magnetron voltage.

Fred