Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Knee Automation - Iggy

Ignoramus5053 wrote:

On 2011-01-19, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
"Pete C." fired this volley in news:4d35d419$0
:

There really isn't any
reason to power the knee unless you plan to lock off the quill and use
the knee as your Z.

Well, Pete, actually there is a good reason.

I don't know what Iggy does, but I do a LOT of work where I have to find
the center of existing old parts to machine new features in them. Many
are plastic, which means I have to use a centering indicator instead of
an edge finder.

Being that my centering indicator is more than 4" taller than my longest
cutting tool, that puts me in the mode of _continually_ cranking the knee
up and down to make headroom for it, then going back to my usual machine
Z for the cutters. It gets wearisome. I will eventually power my knee,
but I see no reason for DROs and the like. I just go (as was said) for a
touch-off of a known tool, and done.

Yes, as soon as the difference between tool lengths is too great, it
means constantly going up and down and touching off. Gets tiring very
quickly.

No problem, just sell me your Interact with it's inadequate Z travel for
a decent price, and then go find yourself something like a Mycenter 1
with longer travels, more horsepower, ATC and a footprint that isn't a
lot larger I'll help you with the rigging and moving...