Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RogerN RogerN is offline

Default Copper Tubing too big, how to size?

"David Billington" wrote in message
RogerN wrote:
Metalworking, resizing copper tubing-

snip
Any reasonably priced tubing expanding tools to expand the end of the
original tubing to accept a piece of 5/8" tubing to be soldered in?

Thanks!

RogerN

Can you make a pair of swaging blocks?. Basically bore a hole in a
suitable piece of material to the current tube OD then cut the material
in half, you may want to add a taper at one end to blend the diameters.
You then squeeze the tube repeatedly , rotating slightly between each
squeeze, and you can quickly reduce the size by the amount you want. I
regularly do this with stainless steel tube and have made a few sizes of
blocks that I mount in my fly press. I expect a vice could be used as
well.

Sounds like something like that might work. If I could get it shrunk enough
to solder a coupling I could join to a correctly sized piece.

RogerN