Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Clearing a Drain?

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 19:36:04 -0500, Don Green
wrote:

The drain in my shower is REAL slow. I tried using the standard drain
cleaning chemicals, but they didn't do much to improve it. I'd like
to auger or snake it out, but the opening is real small. Too small
for my drain auger.

I found a nice 1/8" SS Wire, pretty stiff, which I tried sticking down
the drain.

I found I can only get as far as the on/off plug. That is, the
vertical up and down shut-off that opens and closes the drain to allow
the tub to fill.

Any thoughts on the best way to clear such a small drain?

Here's how I clean my tub drain when it slows down.
From the looks of it, it's mostly hair and soap scum slowing it.
I run hot water to warm and fill the trap, then pour maybe 4-6 ounces
of liquid dish detergent directly into the drain.
Let it set overnight.
Close the drain and fill the tub with hot water.
Hold a wet rag over the over the overflow fitting and get a regular
toilet plunger over the drain.
Open the drain and pump the plunger like hell.
You should see some crap coming up from the drain, but then the drain
should empty the tub a normal pace.
If I don't think it's normal, I repeat the entire process.
Had to repeat the first time I did it, but since then once every few
years does the trick.
Try this before you go snaking the drain.

--Vic