Posted to sci.electronics.repair
nesesu nesesu is offline

Default Simple Question about Thermal Cutoff (tco) & Fuses

On Jan 17, 6:05*pm, "Phil Allison" wrote:
"j barnes"

Would it be safe for me to replace the 4AMP TCO with a 10amp 152C

** Yes.

*The amp rating is not important long as it is more than 4.

.... *Phil

FWIW, I have delved into several of my wife's sewing appliances that
were originally designed for European countries and they seem to
forget the current issue in adapting from 240V to 120V for the NA
market. Her two irons both failed from the overtemperature safety
cutout [self resetting thermal breaker] contacts burning, even through
the cutout should never have tripped. They were rated for 6A and the
irons draw about 12A at 120V. In both cases the cutout is spot welded
to the base assembly and not replaceable. New plate $85.
Similar with the old foot controllers for sewing machines where the
contacts look to have ample voltage clearances, but marginal contact
area. One Bernina has actually burnt one contact half away over the
last 50 odd years.
I cannot see a Samovar taking much less than 1000-1200watts, like most
kettles, so I would, myself, use a 10A rated cutout. Naturally, when
installing it, it is best to crimp the connections or spot weld but,
in any case, you must wrap the new one time thermal fuse in a wet rag
to keep it cool while attaching it.

Neil S.