Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Painting downspout pipes? ? ?

On Jan 17, 6:11*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 1/12/2011 1:00 PM RicodJour spake thus:

On Jan 12, 2:17 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 1/11/2011 9:58 PM RicodJour spake thus:

I'm guessing you've never used paints meant for plastics.

Not true at all. In my modelmaking mode I use paints formulated for
*painting plastic (primarily styrene), although I also often forgo
them and just use regular oil-based paints.

I worked for a year in a professional model making shop in Carnegie
Hall that specialized in large scale architectural models. *$50K
models were not unusual. *What sort of stuff do you do?

[Meant to answer this earlier but never got a round tuit]

Certainly nothing like what you mentioned. I'm a mostly model-railroad
hobbyist, so I've built a fair number of structure kits, mostly styrene,
and decorated them (painting, signage, etc.). But my current obsession
is scratchbuilding models of actual local structures, mostly out of
paper. I just finished a local commercial building front, and am
finishing up a model of a long-gone small train depot (at Lands End in
San Francisco). The first building came out very nicely.

Some pics of the comml. building model (haven't got pictures of the
finished piece yet):

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/y...LK-1.jpg(photo
of building)http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/y...LK.gif(working
drawing)http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/y...8MLKmodelstate...
(1st phase of construction)

So what kind of stuff did you do? At the prices you mentioned, it must
have been quite a bit more extensive that my little projects.

On Jan 17, 6:11 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 1/12/2011 1:00 PM RicodJour spake thus:

On Jan 12, 2:17 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 1/11/2011 9:58 PM RicodJour spake thus:

I'm guessing you've never used paints meant for plastics.

Not true at all. In my modelmaking mode I use paints formulated for
painting plastic (primarily styrene), although I also often forgo
them and just use regular oil-based paints.

I worked for a year in a professional model making shop in Carnegie
Hall that specialized in large scale architectural models. $50K
models were not unusual. What sort of stuff do you do?

[Meant to answer this earlier but never got a round tuit]

No problem. I'm always getting pulled in different directions, too.

Certainly nothing like what you mentioned. I'm a mostly model-railroad
hobbyist, so I've built a fair number of structure kits, mostly styrene,
and decorated them (painting, signage, etc.). But my current obsession
is scratchbuilding models of actual local structures, mostly out of
paper. I just finished a local commercial building front, and am
finishing up a model of a long-gone small train depot (at Lands End in
San Francisco). The first building came out very nicely.

Some pics of the comml. building model (haven't got pictures of the
finished piece yet):

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/y...LK-1.jpg(photo
of building)http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/y...LK.gif(working
drawing)http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/y...8MLKmodelstate...
(1st phase of construction)

Interesting. Nice that you're doing real buildings - why did you pick
that particular one? Any special significance?

The dentist I went to when I was growing up was a big time railroad
model guy. He had three daughters and no sons, and whenever I'd go
over there, he'd take a break and we'd go up to the attic where it was
completely filled with a layout. He had an electrical engineer friend
who took care of the electric end of things, but as he was a truly
gifted man with his hands (ergo dentistry) he didn't need help with
the rest of the model. Really top notch stuff.

So what kind of stuff did you do? At the prices you mentioned, it must
have been quite a bit more extensive that my little projects.

Most of the models I built back then were for architects working on
commercial projects. Office buildings, civic centers, malls, that
sort of thing. The model shop owner was also a bit of an inventor
with a money-guy backing him, and I was their prototype guy. I wish I
knew then what I know now. We turned out some good stuff, but my
skill set is much, much better now. Except for the vision. Back then
my eyes were something like 20/15 in one eye and 20/10 in the other.
Now I see blurry letters if I'm not wearing my glasses.

I haven't built any big time models in a while, but this is one we
built the model for:
http://www.cityofrochester.gov/artic...?id=8589941255
I've never been to Rochester and it's funny to see the place. I
haven't seen it since we packed up the model and shipped it out 30
years ago, but I still feel like I've seen the place in person.

The owner of the model shop was a _real_ perfectionist. Certifiable,
and he wouldn't let models leave until they were ready. That didn't
always sit well with the clients. One time there were six of us
working on a model for maybe a month or six weeks, and he kept putting
off the client. Finally, the client called up and said, "George, we
don't need the model anymore. You can keep it." Ouch! So he ate a
many thousand dollar model. But I still admired his care in his work.