Posted to alt.home.repair

Default questions on digging for sump pit in basement

On Jan 18, 8:52*am, jamesgangnc wrote:
On Jan 18, 8:20*am, Mikepier wrote:

In my ongoing basement reno project, I am going to install a sump pit
and pump in the furnace room to deal with rare occurences of heavy
rains and high water table. I have a few questions.

The pits I've seen at HD and Lowes are 18" diameter and 22" deep. How
close to the foundation wall can I install it? Any concerns with
hitting the footing? *My basement is solid concrete walls. Due to
clearance issues in the furnace room, the closer I am to the wall the
better. For a 18" diameter, should the hole be 21" diameter?

Also as far as the discharge pipe which 1 1/2" PVC. I have to go up
approx 8 feet, then 3 feet across horizontally .If I get a 1/3 HP
pump, can it handle that ?

Foundation footings can be anything from 12" to 24" depending on the
code at the time and the size of the structure. *I'm guessing you are
going to jack hammer through the existing concrete floor? *I'd do
enough to accomidate a range. *You are going to have to patch the
floor when you are done anyway. *Then when you dig the pit you will
probably find the footing and can adjust from there. *Just fill with
gravel if you have to widen your hole to avoid the footing. *You want
to not dig below the bottom of the footing. *If you are using one of
those plastic pits you can always shorten it if you need to.

why not go below level of footing, for a sump pit? its not like a
regular sized pit will endanger the structure of the home...

lower has a better chance of getting the water table down