Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Tub overflow problem

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 04:21:59 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Jan 17, 11:53Â*pm, Molly Brown wrote:
On Jan 17, 5:53Â*pm, " wrote:

You tub drain was clogged so you called someone to snake it out for
you. The person who did the work removed the overflow plate and pushed
the snake in from there. In doing so he moved the tube and overflow
gasket or maybe even caused the gasket to fall off altogether. You
need to open the plumbing access panel behind the tub and confirm that
this is what really happened and if so call that guy who unclogged
your tub drain and have him fix it for free.- Hide quoted text -

Yep. I have snaked it out this way myself after I watched a plumber
do it once. Our tub connects to the kitchen sink further on down the
line and I get these weird backups where water starts backing up into
the tub and it smells bad and the only way to snake it out is from the
tub overflow.

If the kitchen sink is backing up into the tub it's the sink line that
needs snaking.

I do have access from underneath. The basement is not finished. But
there is not a lot of room to get up at things. Floor joists etc...

I don't even remember which plumber was the first one to snake it out
that way. I've used several. I've had this problem for years now and
never fixed it since it only happens every now and then and it's not a
ton of water. But I'm sick of it now and want to fix it.

Is it a big job for a plumber? There's no access behind the tub
without ripping through the cabinets and I would live with the leak
before doing that.

If you can't get in from the basement, you pull whatever cabinet is in
the way.
If you have to pull the sink/countertop first, you do that.
It's not a big deal for the plumber if you have the cabinets cleaned
out and tell him you'll take care of re-caulking or re-grouting the
counter backsplash.
Maybe an extra hour or two, depending if he runs into "issues."

I can't take a bath in a tub that gets pipe filth in it.
My tub drain slowed once to the point where getting in a full tub
caused the overflow tube to fill, then sloshing water sucked back
drain crap particles into the bath water.
After that I cleaned the drain before it got bad.
Not with a snake.

--Vic