Posted to uk.d-i-y
JW[_4_] JW[_4_] is offline

Default OT - Computer

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 11:56:22 +0000, Mark wrote:

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 10:55:30 +0000, JW wrote:

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 10:09:57 +0000, Mark wrote:

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 09:55:09 +0000, JW wrote:

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 09:29:30 +0000, Mark wrote:

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 21:00:50 +0000, Andy Champ
wrote:

On 17/01/2011 13:32, Mark wrote:

But they 'force' you to 'upgrade' somehow.

I run a fully legit copy of Office 2000.

I have office 2007 at work, and prefer the older one.

I have '97 at home and have to use 2010 at work. I do prefer the
older one but, as I stated in another post, I can't open "docx" files
with my version MS Office.

I still see no sign of you being forced to upgrade! ;-)

What if you want to open the docx file? They are trying to 'force'
you to 'upgrade'. My upgrade is to install and use OO instead.

You ask the author/sender to save it as DOC format?

A lot of people do not have the technical knowledge to do this,
believe it or not. As if often the case one receives important
documents shortly before a meeting and there is not time for the
document to be resent.

Sometimes the case - but bad practice anyway. Documents should be sent out
long in advance. And if it's for business use, you can reasonably expect
all corporate PCs to be able to read DOCX. If they cannot, then there is a
business justification to upgrade. If the problem is that you cannot open
business documents on your home PC, then the simple fact is that your home
setup is not suitable for home working. However, with OO, you have a
solution. So not really sure what the problem is.

I don't really think
you can blame MS for this.

I can blame MS for changing the format they use for document storage.

They have only changed the installed default save option. I've never done
it, but I checked in Options - Save, and there is a simple dropdown box to
change the default back to 97-2003 format. If it is that big an issue,
setting up a standard paragraph to help people "Save As" will surely be
appreciated.

They have added the ability to use DOCX back as
far as 2003 I think. Not sure if it goes further. But you cannot expect
them to update every piece of software they have ever written.

They didn't have to change the format. It is a problem of their own
making.

And the broadcasting people don't have to switch off the analogue TV
signals...but they will...

At work we have to use 2010 as the sharepoint integration doesn't work
in earlier versions.

We have 2007 at work. Maybe that's why Sharepoint has always seemed so
****e!

Sharepoint is ****e anyway.

Agreed.

I quite like DOCX. It was by accident (actually, because Clarity screwed up
at work) that I realised that DOCX is just an archive format. Rename it to
..ZIP, and you can simply retrieve all embedded images etc.

--
Cheers

JW