Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matty F Matty F is offline

Default Refurbishing Simplex jacks

On Jan 18, 11:29 pm, Skipweasel wrote:
In article d3488a3f-926b-414d-99ee-2c2552946517
@f20g2000prn.googlegroups.com, says...

I don't think they are made to take apart easily, and that is not an
easy job. It's like some kind of puzzle, and comes apart and goes back
together only in a certain order.

To be fair, that's true of most machinery - unless you like your pistons
outside your engine.

But it's usually obvious how to take something apart except for
modern things where they hide screws.
The Simplex jack has a nameplate that is held on by a rivet that
becomes curved when hammered in. It's impossible to pull the rivet out
withot breaking it. I've replaced that with a screw.
Then the two bearings are pressed in from each side and it needs a
thin wedge to start getting them out, then a pin punch.
All of the split pins are in such tight places that I needed to cut
them in half to remove them.
There's about half a down places where a trick is needed to take it
apart. That's something I've seen only in modern equipment.