Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default TV repairable?

Tony Miklos wrote:
On 1/17/2011 7:51 PM, aemeijers wrote:

As to computer monitors- my 2 regular-use monitors are Dell-branded 19"
Trinitrons that date from 2000, purchased used at a state auction around
2004 for ~$40 each. They also work perfectly, dammit, after years of
heavy use. Every time I go to Sam's I drool my way through the aisle of
Samsung flat-screens at ever-lower prices, but until these die....

(Life at the trailing edge is one of the downsides of being a cheap SOB.)

I have the same 19" Dell Trinitron. Got lucky at a Salvation Army store
about 9 or 10 years ago, I think the price was $17. ... the same as all
the 14" ones! I grabbed it fast! I know the feeling of looking at the
big flat screens. When will this monitor die? When I get a flat screen
I'll be able to move my desk 7" back against the wall. I almost cut a
hole in the wall behind this thing a couple times, but then to make it
worth it, I'd have to cut a hole in my bedroom wall also.

Hi,
I dumped Nikon film outfit after using it for my daughter's wedding.
Now every member of my family has own digital camera, and/or camcorder.
One thing, CRT based sets has a slight risk of emitting X-ray
if HV set up is not properly adjusted. Also they use quite a bit more
energy compared to LCD panels.