Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Miklos[_2_] Tony Miklos[_2_] is offline

Default OT Did You Know It Costs More Than a Penny to Make a Penny?

On 1/17/2011 5:15 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
http://gizmodo.com/5734677/did-you-k...o-make-a-penny

They should stop making them.

Yes but the US Mint and the US Treasury are two separate entities. In
Canada $1 coins (loon?) are used all the time because they stopped
making $1 bills. That is why we never adjusted to the dollar coin,
because the Treasury won't stop loosing money making paper dollars.

The pennies are really bad, just think of how long they have been our
lowest value coin. It's time to say goodbye to the pennies and the
nickels and make dimes the lowest value. Then the treasury can start
making $1000 bills again. Although I think the thousand $ bill will
never return, with the trend of electronic payments that never need
coins or paper bills. Paper money is too difficult to trace.