Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Magnabend

On 2011-01-17, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Rick wrote:
More detailed manual and schematics:
http://www.aaybee.com.au/MagnaBend%20UserManual.pdf

Good stuff! It makes me want one even more! Lots of data one could use
for building one, too.

The most significant spec is the 3 tons ("tonnes") of clamping force on
the 24" brake. That's 250 lbs/running inch. I'm skeptical that a
reworked MOT is going to come anywhere near that.

I suspect that the magnet is a continuous stack of E-cores the
full active width of the brake -- all in a single coil. If you had a
bunch of MOT cores, you would have areas where the grip was a lot weaker
than you need.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564