Posted to alt.home.repair
JoeSpareBedroom[_3_] JoeSpareBedroom[_3_] is offline

Default Cancel credit card ?

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
SMS wrote:
-snip-

A while back Discover offered a deal I couldn't pass up. 0% no-fee
balance transfers with 0% interest for as long as you had the card and
missed no payments. You did have to make at least two charges of at
least $1 every month which would be subject to interest (later they
dropped that requirement). I took out $30,000 and bought CDs. I have to
make a payment each month but the interest rate is 0%.

Yup- I got that one. I read that letter 3 times, on three different
days because I was sure there was a hitch. I got 20K & set up an
auto-payment from my bank-- and paid my $5/mo AOL account, and a $2/mo
website. Seems like it was a 5yr payback or so-- not bad for
$7/mo, even if I wasn't using those 2 accounts.

If Discover hadn't been such pricks with all the solicitations over
the next month I would have been their friend for life. It took
some major threats and a talk to a 2nd level supervisor to convince
them that I wasn't buying anything else. And never will. [though
I've been tempted by their 5% gas reward card]

Jim

It's easy to deal with the solicitations. Set up a custom ring tone known as
"silent". That took care of the clowns from Citibank, who always call from
the same phone number. They rarely leave messages, so all I see when I look
at the phone is a missed call.

Discover did something interesting a few years ago. I paid off my balance
and didn't use the card for a year. I got a note saying they were raising my
rate from 14% to 19%. No problem. I wasn't using it anyway. Then, I got a
call from some genius who wanted to know if there was anything they could do
to entice me to do business. I asked the women if she could see my rate
history on her screen. She said yes. I asked if she had any further
questions. She didn't. I said goodbye.

Silly people.