Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Allodoxaphobia[_2_] Allodoxaphobia[_2_] is offline

Default Magnetized tools

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 15:36:49 -0700, D Yuniskis wrote:

Noticing a fair number of tools with magnetic tips, etc.
And, a few that have picked up some residual magnetism
over the years.

For the most part, this isn't a problem for me. I know
not to bring them near media, "heads", coils, etc. Often
the magnetism is a blessing (holding small screws in
place; keeping driver "tips"/bits from falling off; etc.)

Don't need that.
For screwdrivers and hexnut drivers and that ilk, I use a dab of
bee's wax to hold the 'thing' to the tool.

For placing nuts in contorted locations, I bend over an appropriate
sized piece of solder and screw the nut onto the loop end for 1/2 to 3/4
of a turn. Then form the solder "lead" to allow you to place the nut
down by the hole while you're poking your bee's wax attached screw in on
the other side (while holding the mag-lite in your mouth and propping
up the chassis with your knee.)

Yes, Happy New Year!

Jonesy
--