Posted to sci.electronics.repair
D Yuniskis D Yuniskis is offline

Default Magnetized tools

Hi,

End-of-the-year sorting through tools (yeah, I'm a few
weeks late : ).

Noticing a fair number of tools with magnetic tips, etc.
And, a few that have picked up some residual magnetism
over the years.

For the most part, this isn't a problem for me. I know
not to bring them near media, "heads", coils, etc. Often
the magnetism is a blessing (holding small screws in
place; keeping driver "tips"/bits from falling off; etc.)

I'm wondering if there are any un-obvious (obscure?)
cases where I might screw myself by using such a tool
when I *shouldn't*?

I guess these would fall into three rough categories:
- things that you can damage by introducing magnetism
(directly or indirectly -- e.g., bringing a magnet near
a guitar "pickup" while the guitar is connected to a
typical "crate" could result in an annoying "pop"/thud)
- things that you can disturb (e.g., leaving some residual
magnetism on a tape head)
- things that can surprise you
(the guitar pickup when the volume *isn't* loud enough
to damage the amplifier)
- things that can *hurt* you
(a tool being drawn to "someplace dangerous" by unexpected
magnetic attraction)