Posted to rec.woodworking
Morgans Morgans is offline

Default My most recent drum project

"RicodJour" wrote

I know exactly zero about drums, so take this with a shaker of salt
(preferably with a few lemons and a bottle of tequila), and I have no
idea about drum sizing, so this may be totally off the wall, but could
you use a section of plastic sewer pipe, wrap veneer around it and
vacuum bag the sucker?

Wouldn't work, I believe.

In using vacuum bagging, the pressure pushes layers together or into a
shaped form. In this case, the pressing together tighter would also need to
coil the veneer tighter, rotating around the jig. Unless you had a way to
rotate the veneers as you bagged it, it would not allow the veneer to be
compressed against the other layers.

It might work if each layer was separate from the other layers, so there was
only a short overlap, or no overlap.

When a drum is built using veneers, it has glue applied, and tightened and
held tight as it is rolled around the form.
--
Jim in NC