Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve Turner Steve Turner is offline

Default My most recent drum project

On 01/17/2011 08:59 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 1/16/2011 3:52 PM, Steve Turner wrote:
(Also posted to rec.music.makers.percussion)

I recently finished up another drum I've been working on. This one is a
20"x15" bass drum constructed from Black Walnut:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboye...7625838936416/

Here are some pictures of the various jigs I used to build it:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboye...7625838041282/

Now I just need to build the rest of the drums so I'll have a full set
to play!

Killer craftsmanship! ... what impresses me most of all are the jigs. I get more fun and
satisfaction coming up with, and making, jig that work than I do the actual piece and it
appears you may share the same sentiment.

Stellar execution on all counts, Steve.

Thanks Karl! Yes, I do get a big kick out of making my own jigs and tools. I spent a
couple of days at least pondering the design and construction of that "coopering" plane, and
I got stuck for a while thinking I was going to have to procure an old derelict wooden
rebate plane and steal its cutter when I got the epiphany to cannibalize an extra Stanley #3
cutter I had lying around. It took a good day or more to build the plane and get it tuned
to perfection, then it probably took me all of five minutes make the necessary cuts on the
drum. It was an exciting moment, but after that it was kind of a let-down thinking I may
never have another need for that wonderful new plane! :-)

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.