Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Magnabend

Artemus wrote:
What AC current are you seeing when you do this?

I was thinking it was an amp, but I just looked at FunWithMOTs & the 1
amp is a secondary in air (no core) with ac on it. I'll have to measure it.

Is the winding getting hot?

Warm, but not too hot to touch.

How ling did you leave it powered on?

A minute or two each trial. Duty cycle would definitely be less than
100%. (The MagnaBend has a duty cycle of 30%.)

Since you are putting DC thru the MOT, it isn't acting as an inductor and
the secondary resistance is all that is limiting the current.

Well, there is definitely a lot of ripple, so that portion of the
current would be inductor affected.

If there isn't any significant heating you could try putting 240VAC into the
rectifiers for increased mag flux and holding power. Check for heating

Yes. First, I intend to determine the saturation voltage and pull at
that point. Then heating, by change-of-resistance method.

Bob