Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Artemus[_4_] Artemus[_4_] is offline

Default Magnabend

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message

Well, I just had some big fun of my own. Based on your report, I had
pretty much dismissed the idea of MOTs being converted to any kind of
serious magnet. But, what the hell, I was curious about the MOTs that I
had converted, so I did some testing.

Mine is a MOT that I had cut in half & used the secondary. The cut
surface was bandsaw flat, but not machined. The core is 2+ x 4+ & I put
a 3/4" plate across the poles. I applied 120v, full wave rectified.

I started out about where you had been: 20-30 lbs. No problem, so I
started adding more. Well, I overflowed the bucket that I was putting
weight in (my MOT collection), switched to a milk crate and filled that
with all the MOTs, plus all the lead I had. Beefing up the lifting
system as I went. I got to 207+ pounds and had to stop 'cause the milk
crate was full and near its breaking point, and the lift system was also
at its limit.

So, I'm going to bring in my engine hoist, scrounge up some more weight
and see just what this baby will do. Not because I think that it might
actually be strong enough for a magnetic brake (it won't be), but "I
gots to know" (Dirty Harry).

Bob

What AC current are you seeing when you do this? Is the winding getting
hot? How ling did you leave it powered on? Since you are putting DC
thru the MOT, it isn't acting as an inductor and the secondary resistance is
all that is limiting the current.
If there isn't any significant heating you could try putting 240VAC into the
rectifiers for increased mag flux and holding power. Check for heating
again.
Art