Posted to alt.home.repair
cubby cubby is offline

Default Humidity - update

On Jan 17, 9:32*am, wrote:
On Jan 16, 11:29*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

?
"cubby" wrote

Really surprised how long this has taken. *In prior years, when I have
not forgot to turn the WHH on, we've had no problem keeping it at the
right level. *I wonder if there is a latent effect due to not just the
air, but everything in the house such as furniture and carpets etc
having been so dried out (after all, it did start at 22%...). *SWMBO
thinks I'm more insane than ever (obsessing about humidity and
checking the readings every five minutes) but the thought of having
the floors buckle in the humid summer scares the crap out of me.

Yes, instead of checking every five minutes, check every 12 to 24 hours for
a significant change.

Did you verify that water is running through the media on the furnace
humidifier?
You should see a good steady trickle, maybe half the diameter or a
pencil flowing
through the drain hose.

They have orifices that can clog up and need to be checked, cleaned,
or replaced
periodically. *And also, if it's a bypass model, that the connecting
duct is wide
open?

Yes and yes. The flow is fine. It's a "typical" sized Aprilaire unit
(by typical I mean the pad is the most common one sold at the home
stores) and my sense is that it may be slightly undersized for the
house. However, in previous years when it was turned on from the
beginning of the winter, it coped just fine, and often I had to trim
it down a little at the stat to eliminate condensation.