Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve Turner Steve Turner is offline

Default My most recent drum project

On Jan 16, 1:52 pm, Steve
wrote:
(Also posted to rec.music.makers.percussion)

I recently finished up another drum I've been working on. This one is a
20"x15" bass drum constructed from Black Walnut:

Very cool. I prefer a 24" bass but that is just fricking killer.

Thanks. I've never owned a 24" kick and I haven't played them very many times, but when I
did it just wasn't "working" for me. Plus, they are just so TALL, which forces the rack
toms to be mounted higher than I find comfortable, especially if the toms have deep shells.

What shape did you come up with for the bearing edge? On Bass drums it
isn't so critical but on smaller shells with tighter skins it makes a
huge difference. I heard a story that Gretch at some time in their
history actually somehow lost the tooling they used to shape the
bearing edge and it took a few years to get it back where they wanted.

Never heard that story. I own a nice set of mid-80's Gretsch drums, and the bearing edges
are pretty straightforward; an ever-so-slight round-over on the outer edge (1/16" radius
maybe? 1/8" max) leading into a simple 30-degree chamfer towards the inner surface. Most
other companies use a 45-degree chamfer (ever try finding a 60-degree chamfer bit to produce
that 30-degree angle? Not too many of them out there). Mine are very similar, but the
chamfer is even more shallow; I think I used a 25-degree raised panel bit with an oversize
bearing.

You should take a look at the bearing edge on a Craviotto maple snare
if you get a chance. I think the other people who do a good edge is
DW.

I don't think I've ever seen a Craviotto around these parts.

Have you ever thought about doing a kit from Keller shells and what is
your opinion of them if you are familiar? I would never venture to
build a set, that is a very ambitious project. You are to be
commended. I thought maybe some day I would do a set of keller shells
with some cool veener and custom finish, maybe sand burn darkened
edges, etc.

Keller makes very nice shells and they've been doing it for decades. They made shells for
Rogers back in the sixties and/or seventies, and they're now making shells for Gretsch as
well. I would certainly consider using their products if I didn't want to build my own.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.