Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Denis G.[_2_] Denis G.[_2_] is offline

Default Magnabend

On Jan 15, 9:25*am, "Wild_Bill" wrote:
The steel in transformers isn't particularly hard.. it bends freely and cuts
quite easily with tin snips.
A quality hacksaw/bandsaw blade shouldn't have any difficulty cutting thru
the welds.

A fiberglas reinforced cutoff wheel will make easy work of cutting thru the
weld of microwave xfmers, or most any welds for common steels.

The entire weld doesn't need to be cut away to separate the E and I
sections, just cutting from the outer surface to the junction of the E-I
sections will do.

Cutting thru multiple layers of steel (where the welds aren't located) can
present problems if the layers start to flex or shift, which could cause
pinching or binding of a saw blade.

--
WB

"Denis G." wrote in message

Nice work and good ideas! *Did you need anything special to cut the
MOTs in half? *I haven't tried it, but I thought that they were high
silicon steel metal and quite hard.

I remember when I took apart transformers as a kid, I think that they
were bolted together and the lamination slid apart quite easily. We
used to smash them with hammers on the sidewalk and they would
shatter. They probably don't make them like that anymore, so maybe
the steel is nothing special nowadays and they don't make them like
they once did.