Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default TV repairable?

ㅗㅑ

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Sun 16 Jan 2011 11:32:32p, told us...

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 18:18:08 -0800,
wrote:

Hi all: My 15-yr old Toshiba 27" crt television has recently
developed a problem which is that approx 15 minutes after being
turned on, the picture bows inward on the left and right sides.
Then, after a few more minutes, the picture resolves and returns
to normal and remains perfect for the remaining time the tv is on.
If the symptom described above means the crt is wearing out, so
be it, the set will soon be history. However, I'm wondering
whether some other, replaceable part, might be going bad and
causing the temporarily distorted picture.

Would appreciate any suggestions re. probable cause(s) of symptom
described above. Am basically novice, but handy and with
soldering skills, and have done a few simple tv repairs in the
past. Thanks for your replies!

Probably a tube is getting weak. Remove the back, label all the
tubes for location on the chassis, so you can put them back in the
same socket. Pull out all tubes and take them to your local
drugstore or hardware store and test them in their tube tester.
Replace any bad ones and you should have a good working tv for
several more years.

Jack

I haven't seen a tube tester in a drugstore or hardware store in
years, nor have I seen a television made in the last 15 years that
had more than a picture tube. The remaining circuitry was solid
state.

Hi,
We are talking about tube set? Whoa!
I have a tube tester real professional one.
I use it very often working/repairing guitar amps.