Posted to rec.woodworking

Default My most recent drum project

On Jan 16, 1:52*pm, Steve Turner
wrote:
(Also posted to rec.music.makers.percussion)

I recently finished up another drum I've been working on. *This one is a
20"x15" bass drum constructed from Black Walnut:

Very cool. I prefer a 24" bass but that is just fricking killer.

What shape did you come up with for the bearing edge? On Bass drums it
isn't so critical but on smaller shells with tighter skins it makes a
huge difference. I heard a story that Gretch at some time in their
history actually somehow lost the tooling they used to shape the
bearing edge and it took a few years to get it back where they wanted.

You should take a look at the bearing edge on a Craviotto maple snare
if you get a chance. I think the other people who do a good edge is
DW.

Have you ever thought about doing a kit from Keller shells and what is
your opinion of them if you are familiar? I would never venture to
build a set, that is a very ambitious project. You are to be
commended. I thought maybe some day I would do a set of keller shells
with some cool veener and custom finish, maybe sand burn darkened
edges, etc.