Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve Turner[_3_] Steve Turner[_3_] is offline

Default My most recent drum project

On 1/16/2011 9:20 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 18:04:43 -0500, "Lee Michaels"
leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote:

"Steve wrote in message
(Also posted to rec.music.makers.percussion)

I recently finished up another drum I've been working on. This one is a
20"x15" bass drum constructed from Black Walnut:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboye...7625838936416/

Here are some pictures of the various jigs I used to build it:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboye...7625838041282/

Now I just need to build the rest of the drums so I'll have a full set to
play!

Looks very nice!

I don't know anything about building drums. Is this the usual way of doing
things? Or is there a much cheaper, simpler way of doing things?

I was going to ask him how many hours this one took and if he were
selling them/recouping his costs, etc. Nice project, Steve.

Thanks! I didn't keep track of my hours, but I suspect I would have trouble
selling these drums for anything close to a decent profit unless I could find a
niche market among well-compensated hot-shot musicians, and those are few and
far between. I would also have to *significantly* automate my processes before
I could become competitive, and believe it or not there is a lot of competition
out there already. I'm really just doing this for my own amusement, and plus I
need a second set of drums. :-)

P.S: Gonna turn (or metalspin) your own cymbals, too?

So many things to do, so little time! :-)

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.