Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default Sawing polycaprolactone (Shapelock, Instamorph, FriendlyPlasticetc)

wrote:
The would belong on rec.crafts.plasticworking if there were such a
place... but hopefully this is close enough.

I'm trying to figure out how to saw through a 3 inch diameter solid
piece of tooling that I formed from polycaprolactone - re-usable beads
of plastic that soften in hot water then can be putty-knifed to
desired shapes then allowed to cool.

As expected for a low-temperature thermoplastic, it's pretty gummy and
likes to trap sawblades. I'm not getting much actual "chip" removal
with either a woodcutting hand miter saw or a hacksaw.

Contemplating either trying to find a cable saw I think I've seen
intended for pvc pipe, or small bow saw with offset teeth of the sort
used to cut a christmas tree, or just trying to rig up something with
a hot wire and melt my way through. The cut needs to be somewhat
regular so I can re-assemble the two halves with screws and shims in
the kerf for use, but it doesn't have to be perfectly planar.

Any suggestions?

If it is form able in hot water and then hardens why not just heat up a
piece of thin stainless stock and slice it like a cheese slicer. OR
since it seems to grab a blade and acts gummy why not try cutting it
with some braided fishing line That stuff acts like a razor if your not
careful handling it.

--
Steve W.