Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected][_2_] cs_posting@hotmail.com[_2_] is offline

Default Sawing polycaprolactone (Shapelock, Instamorph, FriendlyPlastic etc)

The would belong on rec.crafts.plasticworking if there were such a
place... but hopefully this is close enough.

I'm trying to figure out how to saw through a 3 inch diameter solid
piece of tooling that I formed from polycaprolactone - re-usable beads
of plastic that soften in hot water then can be putty-knifed to
desired shapes then allowed to cool.

As expected for a low-temperature thermoplastic, it's pretty gummy and
likes to trap sawblades. I'm not getting much actual "chip" removal
with either a woodcutting hand miter saw or a hacksaw.

Contemplating either trying to find a cable saw I think I've seen
intended for pvc pipe, or small bow saw with offset teeth of the sort
used to cut a christmas tree, or just trying to rig up something with
a hot wire and melt my way through. The cut needs to be somewhat
regular so I can re-assemble the two halves with screws and shims in
the kerf for use, but it doesn't have to be perfectly planar.

Any suggestions?