Posted to sci.electronics.repair
baron baron is offline

Default Magnifying glass for smd components

Hi Arfa,
Arfa Daily Inscribed thus:

"Baron" wrote in message
D Yuniskis Inscribed thus:

On 1/15/2011 10:52 AM, Baron wrote:
D Yuniskis Inscribed thus:
I have found that adequate *light* is more important than
magnification (but that may just be the age of my eyes)

I can certainly empathise with that last paragraph. Good lighting
is very important. Particularly where identifying colors is
required.

I find that I need more than "good" :-/

I used to be able to read the markings on DIPs at arm's length
"with a glance". Now, I need to rock them back and forth to get
the light to reflect off them at the right angle before things
are visible (at times, I swear they have changed to BLACK INK!! :
)

Ditto for color codes. Seems like the colors have crept closer
together in the spectrum :-/

Yes colours have definitely become harder to read. I've used the
"PTFE" tape trick on IC's and SMD parts a number of times to read the
markings.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

But bear in mind what I said on here a few weeks ago about how hard it
is to distinguish similar coloured bands under CFL light, due to the
hugely discontinuous spectrum that the stupid things put out ...

Arfa

Yes I do remember !

--
Best Regards: