Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Magnabend

On 2011-01-16, Rick wrote:

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message
In article ,
Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Oh, that's cool! I wanna' build one. Maybe use a bunch of microwave
oven transformer coils. I wonder if there's anything special in the
controls. E.g., a special waveform driving the electromagnets.

[ ... ]

I found the manual on the net, and the manual had the schematic. My
guess is right, but they didn't bother with a filter capacitor. The
fullwave diode-bridge rectifier is fed from 115 volts and the coil DC
resistance is 8.5 ohms.

Actually -- it is fed from 220 to 240 VAC not 115 VAC.
Remember, this is made in Australia, where 240 VAC is the norm -- and it
is single ended above ground, not center-tapped the way US 240 VAC is.

The color coding of the power wires supports this.

[ ... ]

More detailed manual and schematics:
http://www.aaybee.com.au/MagnaBend%20UserManual.pdf

This is where the 220-240 VAC is verified. Look on page 6 of
the downloaded manual.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564