Posted to uk.d-i-y
andrew andrew is offline

Default Panelling out a shower cubicle (ie not tiling)?

On Jan 16, 9:31*am, Lobster wrote:
On 14/01/2011 20:18, andrew wrote:

On Jan 14, 6:03 pm, *wrote:
Will be refurbishing our shower at home shortly. *SWMBO has decided that
it might be nice to fit it out with flat perspex-type panels rather than
conventional tiles, like you often get in hotel rooms etc.

We've used these ones a few times:
http://www.multipanel.co.uk/

They look good, are lasting well so far (6 years or so for the first
ones we fitted) and are easy to fit.
*From memory we pay about £75 + VAT for an 8 x 4 sheet in white, a bit
more for the more interesting ones.

Thanks a lot for this - looks very interesting and I may well go down
this route.

Seems that you can attach[1] this stuff direct to the battens in the
surrounding studwork, ie no need for plasterboard/aquapanel: does that
work OK?

Works fine. The stuff is basically 0.5 inch plywood with a high
pressure laminate bonded to the face, so it's pretty rigid. First time
we used it was lining a full room - we glued it straight to the studs
of the existing 100 year old stud wall.

When we fit them in our house, I'm thinking about adding the concealed
speaker system -http://www.multipanel.co.uk/soundPanel/soundpanel.asp

That looks *really* cool but at £350 against my £10 shower radio I fear
I may have some difficulty getting that one past SWMBO!

I think the trade price is a lot less than that, but still not cheap!