Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Watts Tim Watts is offline

Default Advice on small cement mixer please

Peter Scott ) wibbled on Sunday 16 January 2011
20:22:

I have several neglected jobs to do that involves smallish quantities of
mortar and concrete. I could hire a mixer but it seems to me better to
buy a small mixer. It would pay for itself in terms of hire charges
after just a few uses.

Machine Mart sells these:
Clarke CCM50 Concrete Mixer at £168 30 litres

Don't bother - unless you only want a bucketful of mortar for pointing, it
will become frustrating as soon as you want even a modest amount of
concrete, screed or dry mix for paving.

Clarke CCM125C Concrete Mixer at £216 125 litres

I've got that one, or rather its grandad (2nd hand, 30 quid, killed myself
wedging it in the car but worth it!). This is the level of machine I would
class as a real cement mixer.

It is possible the engineeringhas changed between mine and this one, but the
frame and basic construction looks as near as dammit identical. Assuming it
is basically the same as mine:

This is a very useful size - power is more than sufficient and the drum will
make a barrowful (real man's barrow) of anything from mortar to concrete.
Mixing action is good and easy to pour out from. Heavy ******* - moves fine
on flat or slight slope hard surfaces but more or a strugle on a sloping
lawn. Mine lives outside without cover and hasn't died yet (though if new,
you might want to take more care of yours!).

Your's even has a switch which my ancient version of the same doesn't.

If you keep it clean (good hosing out after each use - I half fill mine with
water and leave it tumbling after each barrowload) don't forget the resale
value if you finally want shot of it.

HTH

Tim

--