Posted to alt.home.repair

Default bought an old house (90 years old)

?
"leza wang" wrote
thanks a lot for your reply. i am very scared now. so you think the
previous owner walked away because there is no way to fix the brack in
the basement!! wow that is so scary thought and i really hope not. i
saw a hole beside the outside basement window and i right away though
that the water must be coming from there.

Relax. Sure, a 90 year old house may need repairs, but it has stood for 90
years already and another 90 or 180 is not our of the question. My son's
house was built in 1752 so by comparison, yours is quite young.

Some water problems are serious, others are not such a big deal, like an
open window. Once you move into the house and get a heavy rain, you can see
if it is just a matter of grading or sealing windows, or routing drains from
the gutters away from the house.

Finding a good home repair contractor is not easy. Talk to friends,
coworkers, neighbors to see if they have used anyone local.