Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Magnabend

In article ,
Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Oh, that's cool! I wanna' build one. Maybe use a bunch of microwave
oven transformer coils. I wonder if there's anything special in the
controls. E.g., a special waveform driving the electromagnets.

The video showed the electronics assembly - it was pretty simple.

I didn't see any big power transformers. It may well be a line-fed
fullwave rectifier bridge and a filter capacitor feeding the magnet
coil, which is wound for high voltage.

I found the manual on the net, and the manual had the schematic. My
guess is right, but they didn't bother with a filter capacitor. The
fullwave diode-bridge rectifier is fed from 115 volts and the coil DC
resistance is 8.5 ohms.

It would not be hard to build the magnet assembly. The fancy hinges are
another matter.

In the US, I didn't find any patents assigned to Magnabend, but I bet
there are patents somewhere, starting with Australia. I did find a
similar company, ElectraBrake, that may be the same company in a new or
old name.

Joe Gwinn