Posted to uk.d-i-y
Neil[_16_] Neil[_16_] is offline

Default Water meter

I have never read our water meter before so I decided to check it. The
latest bill said" estimate".

Anyway, I lever up the cast iron cover and it doesn't look like it has
been read for years, but between the meter itself and the cover at
street level is a piece of white cable / pipe that leads up to
something epoxied into a plastic housing mounted in a hole in the
cover.

Am I right in assuming this provides some kind of means for them
reading the meter without lifting the cover?

How does that work then, 'cos it looks incredibly unsophisticated?

Cheers

Neil