Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electrical safety and camping - NZ way logical?

Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
John Williamson wrote:

Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
John Williamson wrote:
Tim Streater wrote:

Tents? Sounds like hassle and bother to me, I'll stick to the B&B.
Caravan. You know they make sense.
Too much of a faff. How much does it affect your fuel consumption

while towing?
Hitch up, drive, arrive, unhitch. A few minutes later, I'm eating a

hot meal.

It just about doubles the consumption on my vehicle, from 25 mpg to
about 15. Then I get to drive round without the drag in my chosen
area, and don't have to worry about mealtimes at the B&B.

You don't *eat* at the B&B (except breakfast of course). And so what
you're saying is that I have to start with a vehicle that has a crap
fuel consumption (25) and then it goes down to something ludicrous. Can
my C4 (54mpg) pull one of those things and what does that do to
consumption?

Let's see - our last big holiday by car - Gite in the South of France.
Round trip 1500 miles (plus using the car for exploring, same as you
would).

1500 / 15 * 4.55 = 455 litres x 1.3 = £591.50 fuel cost for you.

In my Dizzle C4 (50mpg):

1500 / 50 * 4.55 = 126.5 litres x 1.3 = £164.31 fuel cost for me

Saving of £427, not bad eh?

Less the cost of having to eat out rather than cooking your own, the
fact that B&B or gites normally cost more than a local caravan site per
night, especially if there's more than two people involved, and so on.
If you stay in Britain, though, the economics change totally. You only
save maybe £100 in fuel. You do, however, have the freedom of getting up
whenever you like and getting back whenever you like, as long as you're
quiet.

I wasn't being totally serious, though. For me, I spend enough on a
holiday that I get what *I* want out of it, I'm not too worried about
the budget.

And if you want a cheap holiday in the South of France, it's cheaper to
fly if there are only two of you travelling and you pre-book.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.