Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Automatic fire sprinklers

?
"Evan" wrote

You are correct, a CO detector will not alert me to a mentally ill
parent.
She also blocked an exit. This was an intentional deed, not accidental
CO
leaking. I image she deactivated any alarms beforehand. Sprinklers
would
not have helped her in any case. She was intent on murder/suicide and
was
50% successful.

Not a $50 problem... You can't use smoke detectors or CO monitors in
garage, but I am sure you knew that... Not many single family homes
have
any rate-of-rise heat detectors installed in them, which is what you
would
want to have in a garage...

You put the $10 smoke detectors in five different rooms. $50 and problem
solved.

And, no, according to the fire chief who was interviews at a press
conference
about the incident no alarms were disabled...

Perhaps not, but I believe she confined the fire to a single room and doing
so would prevent a detector in the hallway from going off. In any case, we
are dealing with CO, not a fire, so it would make no difference.

As to your assumption that sprinklers would not have been any help, I
wouldn't
jump to that conclusion, those grills put out a lot of heat, confining
that heat
inside one room might have gotten hot enough at the ceiling to pop a
sprinkler
head, don't know either way because no one has conducted an
experiment
and measured how hot it got in the room...

Having installed sprinkler systems in two buildings, one 40,000 sq. ft and
the other 130,000 sq ft and manufacturing temperatures and boilers, I can
say the sprinkler would not have gone off from the heat of a hibachi that is
4' or more away from a head. It may have eventually started a fire, but
that would be after the people were dead anyway.

Your assertion that the mother was mentally ill is the first I have
heard about
that aspect of the case, do you have a source for that information, or
are you
just adding your personal opinion/moral judgment to your
argumentation?

A mother plots and plans and kills her child and you have doubts about her
mental condition?