Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Gun lobby always wins

wrote:

Absolutely and positively not so. Spies, saboteurs, guerrillas, and
the like are most emphatically NOT soldiers and, if captured on the
battlefield, are NOT entitled to POW status. This has been part of
the Rules of Warfare for millennia and is codified in the various
treaties and conventions on the conduct of war.

But wait, if he's a U.S. citizen who has taken up
arms against the U.S., then he's a traitor, and what do we do with
traitors--we charge them and try them in a court of law. So, which
is it? POW status for foreigners, or court for American citizens?

During WWII literally hundreds of thousands of German and Italian
POWs were confined on U.S. soil and a significant number of them
were U.S. citizens (think dual citizenship). Not a one was tried as
a traitor. Further, not a one ever had access to U.S. civilian
courts. (Crimes committed within a POW camp - theft, murder, etc. -
were handled by courts martial.)

Point is, citizenship is irrelevant for POW status, charging as a
traitor, or detention and execution as an unlawful enemy combatant.

Case in point is what the beloved patron saint of liberals, FDR, did.
In 1942
a German plot to sabotage and bomb the USA was discovered and 8 guys
were arrested on US soil. Two of them were US citizens. All were
tried
before a military tribunal, convicted and received the death
sentence. FDR
commuted the death penalty for two who had cooperated. The others
were
dispatched in short order. From arrest to execution took all of 3
months.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Pastorius

Damn! I didn't know it took that long! Liberals were active back then too.

Major Andre was captured by Continental forces on September 23, 1780 and was
executed by firing squad, under General Washington's orders, on October 2nd
(six business days later)