Posted to sci.electronics.repair
D Yuniskis D Yuniskis is offline

Default Magnifying glass for smd components

On 1/15/2011 2:27 PM, Baron wrote:
D Yuniskis Inscribed thus:

On 1/15/2011 2:08 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
However, that's not what I use on the bench. I butchered a USB
camera and what's left of a childrens microscope into a nifty
magnifying
system. The LCD monitor displays the image and the computah can
capture the image if necessary. I suggest you just play with
whatever lenses you can scrounge and a USB camera and see what you
can do.

I have a USB camera mounted on a gooseneck (manual focus) that
I can position over (one of) the stereoscope's eyepiece. Or,
use "unaided" to just examine boards/components. I can;t recall
who makes it -- it was from a "science" classroom intended to
let students examine bugs, minerals, anything under a microscope,
etc. I.e., *designed* for this sort of purpose (instead of as
a "web cam")

Veho ! Maybe !

frown I did a quick google.images and didn't see anything that looked
like what I have. The gooseneck is *really* long. I.e., with the
base sitting on the table, the gooseneck extends high enough to get
*above* the stereoscope. Stereoscope is a minimum of 12" above the
table (in the full "down" position). Gooseneck easily reaches 18"
above the table (if you want the camera pointed *down* -- higher
if you can tolerate the camera pointed "sideways"... since the
gooseneck wouldn't have to double back on itself)

I'm in the middle of packing for a trip but will try to remember to
drag the camera out (it sits behind my LCD monitors and peeks *over*
them so it isn't easily accessible without moving stuff) and see
what the make/model is.